Flight Description – 60 minute helicopter flight including a snow landing.
This flight by helicopter is a totally unique experience taking you from Tekapo, winding through our remote alpine valleys all the way right up close to mighty Aoraki / Mount Cook at over 3724 meters. Learn all about our high country areas before crossing into the Mount Cook National Park for some amazing views of our highest peaks and longest glaciers. You will traverse over the Southern Alps and take in views of the Franz and Fox glaciers, before crossing back east for your snow landing.
Included in the flight is a snow landing on Liebig Dome (7700 feet) to enjoy a panorama view of Aoraki Mount Cook and surrounding mountains.
- Seeing the turquoise blue water of beautiful Lake Tekapo and the local rivers that feed into the lake.
- Mt John Observatory.
- Glenmore & Godley Peaks High Country Sheep Stations.
- Wind your way through the steep, rugged mountains and passes of the Cass, Fork and Jollie Valleys, home to the merino sheep. Your pilot will tell you all about how these sheep are farmed and show you the remote musterers huts.
- Look down into dense milky waters of the Tasman Terminal lake at the bottom of the Tasman Glacier.
- Marvel at the large icebergs below an the Tasman river formed by the melting ice as it flows down into Lake Pukaki.
- Traverse around Aoraki Mount Cook and Mount Tasman, crossing into the Tai Poutini National Park to get stunning close up views of the Franz and Fox glaciers.
- Cross the mid Tasman and Murchison glaciers with ice stretching over 10 kilometers in both directions.
- Lake Alexandrina with it’s fresh spring fed water contrasting starkly with glacial fed Lake Tekapo.
- Ancient glacial deposits including massive “erractics” left behind as ice melted during the last ice-age.